There’s nothing better than treating yourself to a luxurious trip to Harrods – but there are some things that happen behind the scenes that the employees won’t tell you. Curious to find out what, exactly? Just read on…
Oh, and if you are or have been a Harrods employee, you’re sure to relate to the things on this list!
1. Harrods employees get a lovely 33% discount on most things in the store
It’s already difficult enough to not fritter away all of your wages on glamorous footwear, so we can only imagine.
2. Retail agencies provide most of the beauty hall staff, so they might not know where everything is
[ DREAM ] came true😍 guess where I went today 🙌🏻 OMG it was so magnificent to be there💖 what I found there…to be continued ☺️#harrods#harrodslondon#harrodsperfume#harrodsperfumesalon#harrodsshopping#harrodsheaven#shoppingheavon#shopping#shoppinglondon#londonstyle#londoncalling#dreamcametrue#tobecontinued#shoppinggoals#shoppingday#perfumeheaven#cartier#yvessaintlaurent#dior#instastyle#instabeauty#instagood#instafashion
Despite the full time staff trying their utmost to brief these workers on where to find everything and what everything is, Harrods is a huge place. They may not know each and every staff room door.
3. Harrods staff have not – I repeat, have not – tried every single one of the beauty products
It’s nice to have recommendations from someone who knows what they’re talking about, but it would be impossible to try everything there!
4. They haven’t eaten all of the foods in the food hall, either
It’s surprising how many people believe this. But once again, it would be near impossible to sample all of the things!
5. If they forget to bring their name badge that day, they have to wear a replacement one
So they might end up with a temporary and unexpected “nickname” for the day thanks to their memory lapse!
6. If their personal belongings aren’t placed in a clear plastic bag, then staff can’t pass through security
Similar to an airport, except you can take more than 100ml of liquids.
7. Beauty and fragrance staff are critically examined before they head out to the shop floor
Standards are high and they need to be looking their absolute best!
8. There aren’t half as many celebrities spotted at Harrods as you might think
Celebs mostly enter via their private doors, and some even come time their visits outside of opening hours. Actually laying eyes on one of them is unfortunately a rarity!
9. But when they do visit, you can probably tell pretty easily
If you spot someone in the store wearing sunglasses and with others carrying their bags for them – it’s probably a celebrity.
10. Harrods customers are generally either tourists or people who want to spend a tonne of money
There are all sorts of clientele, but those are usually the main two groups.
11. Harrods is full of security who are dressed down in ordinary clothes – they’ll track down anyone who’s looking suspicious
But that does mean newer staff sometimes mistake them for customers and try to sell them things!
12. Harrods is enormous, even to the staff
They’ll spend most of their lunch break just getting to the canteen and only then realise they’ve forgotten their wallet.
13. If they forget to bring flats, they’ll just have to make the journey home in the uniform’s “structured shoe”
You’re in extreme pain, but least you look fashionable. Right?!
14. Staff will spend a heck of a lot of time organising the displays… Only for a kid to come and ruin them
DON’T TOUCH THOSE SCARVES!
15. Yes, there’s a memorial to Princess Diana and Dodi. No, they weren’t buried beneath Harrods
A lot of people really think this, apparently. At least those kinds of questions might make an employee’s boring shift interesting!
16. It doesn’t matter how much you’re spending – your customer service will always be to the highest standard
Don’t stress if you don’t have that dolla!
17. But if you really are spending a lot of dosh, you’ll get special treatment
18. Staff are regularly asked if the fibre optic lighting is original
Which would have been impressive, considering that Harrods was built in the 19th century.
19. Despite any and all silly questions, they still have an amazing time working there
It’s so impressive at Chistmas, too!