While there are some pretty avid, loyal Friends fans who have seen every single episode at least 5 times, there’s no way you could know these 38 facts about the long-running sitcom.
1. Monica’s apartment would cost at least $4,500 a month today – Monica was only able to afford it due to inheriting the rent-controlled apartment from her grandmother.
2. Even the cast was weirded out by Joey and Rachel being together, saying they didn’t “belong together, and it wasn’t right.”
3. “The One With All The Poker” was inspired by the director getting the cast to play poker together to bond.
4. In the beginning, the cast would all watch the show together.
5. Jennifer Aniston was considered for Monica, but she wanted to play Rachel. Courteney Cox was considered for Rachel, but she wanted to play Monica.
6. Ursula Buffay was introduced to explain that Phoebe Buffay is the twin sister of Lisa Kudrow’s character on Mad About You.
7. The network got nervous while shooting that the audience wouldn’t like that Monica had sex on the first date – so they took a survey.
8. According to Marta Kauffman, one of the show’s creators, it went like this: “For sleeping with a guy on a date, do you think Monica is: A) A Slut, B) A Whore, C) Too Easy, D) None Of The Above.” She said that “it was all none of the above. Nobody cared except for this one guy.”
9. Matt LeBlanc dislocated his shoulder while filming “The One Where Nobody’s Ready”, which is why he was wearing a sling for a few episodes during Season 3.
10. Because Matthew Perry was so similar to Chandler’s character, he actually helped many of his friends with their auditions for the roll. He couldn’t audition himself at first because he was committed to another project, but when it was cancelled, he auditioned for Chandler, and the rest is history.
11. Jennifer Aniston said that none of the cast were fans of the theme song.
12. It took hours to shoot the title sequence, and everyone had “pruney fingers” by the end of it.
13. Throughout the whole 10 years of filming, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, and Lisa Kudrow had lunch together every day, and had the same food every time.
14. For the final season, the main cast were paid $1,000,000 per episode, the highest salary ever paid to a television ensemble at the time.
15. Lisa Kudrow believed a hoax reunion was real, and was upset that she wasn’t invited.
16. Matt LeBlanc’s daughter has started saying “How are you doing?” But when LeBlanc tried to tell her it’s “how you doin’?” she told him that no, it should be “how are you doing?”
17. Jennifer Aniston turned down a job on Saturday Night Live to be on Friends – it wouldn’t have been the same without her.
18. Hank Azaria auditioned for the role of Joey twice before being cast as Phoebe’s boyfriend David.
19. Ellen DeGeneres could have played Phoebe, but she turned the role down.
20. Phoebe drank the most coffee of any character – 227 cups throughout the 10 seasons.
21. Ross once said his birthday was in December, and on a different occasion, he said it was on Oct. 18 – did you notice?
22. When Friends premiered, People gave it a D+ rating and Time called the characters a group of “dysfunctional morons.”
23. When Bruce Willis guest starred on the show, he donated the money he made from the three episodes to charity.
24. Ugly Naked Guy was an uncredited role, so many people just believed he was played by Michael Hagerty, who played Mr. Treeger. However he was actually played by a man named Jon Haugen.
25. When asked why he had never come forward before his identity was discovered in 2016, Haugen explained: “I was just keeping it mellow because Warner Brothers was keeping it mellow. They wanted everybody to have a guess who I was.”
26. Neither Haugen nor David Schwimmer were actually naked when they filmed their scene together – they were both wearing boxer shorts.
27. Matthew Perry convinced the writers to scrap a storyline where Chandler went to a male strip club because he really liked the sandwiches.
28. The pilot tested so poorly that Friends almost never made it on air – would our lives even be the same?!
29. There are a handful of episodes where there are obvious doubles standing in for the cast members – that woman is supposed to be Monica.
30. Lisa Kudrow’s pregnancy was written into the show through her surrogacy, but Courteney Cox’s pregnancy during the last season was simply ignored because she and Chandler were unable to have kids.
31. NBC told the creators of Friends that they needed to have an older character because no one would watch a show with a cast of 20-year-olds.
32. Chandler tells Monica that he loves her for the first time two different times – the first when she’s trying to cheer him up with the turkey on her head, and the second when Phoebe’s trying to seduce Chandler to get him to admit to his and Monica’s relationship, he says “I can’t do this, I love Monica” – she walks out of the bathroom looking shocked, as if she hadn’t heard it before.
33. The production team needed to save money, so “The One Where No One’s Ready” was filmed in the basic sets without any guest stars.
34. The writers began to really like the episodes where it was just the main cast in a room and did at least one per season.
35. Lisa Kudrow didn’t like learning the guitar and instead wanted Phoebe to play the bongos.
36. Courteney Cox wanted Matt LeBlanc to be cast as Joey because he was “so dang cute.”
37. The cast had to keep re-doing their makeup while filming the finale because they all kept crying.
38. David Schwimmer, who was the “rock,” starting getting choked up during the cast’s final pre-show huddle. Once he got choked up, that was it. Everyone lost it.