Facts are usually called ‘facts’ for a reason, they’re the unmovable truth of a situation, usually backed up by a guy in a white coat, whilst holding a test tube…
and who doesn’t trust a guy in a white coat, eh?
Facts are what make the world go round and they give us the knowledge to get on in the world…and win some bar bets! But sometimes the facts betray our minds and leave us a bit dumbfounded, sometimes the bare truth isn’t always so clear-cut.
Below is a list of some facts that I promise are….
and completely true! (Would I lie to you?)
1. The High Five didn’t exist until 1977
What? How did people express their friendship within the form a hand gesture before 1977? I guess they didn’t.
Actual sciencey fact: The first one was shared between Los Angeles Dodger Dusty Baker and his teammate Glenn Burke on Oct. 2, 1977!
2. Africa is closer than you may think
Want to get closer to Africa? Then just move to Maine!
A peninsula of Maine called Quoddy Head (love that name!) is just 3,154 miles away from El Beddouza, Morocco, okay, there probably isn’t a bus service…
…but it means that it’s a lot closer than you may think.
3. A Kidney too far…
When you get a kidney transplant, they apparently leave the other kidneys in your body and just ‘pop’ the third one somewhere in your pelvis.
Now, I’m all for time-saving methods, but this seems like it’s going a little too far… remind me to never trust my surgeon ever again!
4. Some lizards can squirt blood out of their eyes
The horned lizard, which can be found in rural desert areas of Texas and other southern states, have an extremely effective way of warding off predators.
The lizard, when it sees a coyote or similar predator, will squirt blood from its eyes into the mouth of the predator.
It tastes disgusting and looks pretty gross too, so you can expect them to leave the little guy along pretty quick.
5. Shine bright like a diamond!
Apparently, it rains diamonds over on Jupiter and Saturn…
Apparently, new atmospheric data for the gassy planets indicates that carbon is abundant in crystal form.
And taking into consideration the sheer size of Jupiter and Saturn compared to earth…
Okay, who’s up for moving planets? They know were the glam is at!
6. Wyoming isn’t very uplifting…
Believe it or not, they only have two Escalators in the whole of Wyoming!
Imagine the queue for those!? I’ll take the stairs, thanks.
7. The Mosquito isn’t just annoying, it’s plain evil…
Don’t fear the humble Shark, or the silly snake…there’s one creature you should fear above them all… it isn’t just annoying, it’s deadly.
Mosquitos kill more humans every year, than any other creature! There are 750,000 deaths a year caused by the spread of Malaria by these little Hitlers… I’m inventing a wearable Mosquito net! Gotta be safe than sorry!?
8. More Pizza than man
We didn’t get math puzzles like this in school! It makes little sense, but one 18 inch pizza is more than two 12 inch pizzas.
The area of a circle increases with the square of the radius, so the larger the circle, the more pizza you get.
I’ll take their word for it, as long as you get more pizza, it sounds perfectly okay to me!
9. High heels were originally designed for men
Though they are now identified with being a female fashion symbol, high heels were first designed for men.
At the end of the 16th century, Persian-inspired style was all the rage in Europe, and heels were seen as being virile and masculine.
It also gave them a little height boost, obviously.
10. John Tyler, you old dog!
John Tyler, who was the 10th president of the United States, was born in 1790 and somehow has not one, but two grandchildren who are still alive!
What is this sorcery, I hear you ask?
Well, this is down to the fact that he was still fathering children well into his seventies… yeah, bet you wished you hadn’t asked now, eh?
11. There’s a popular brewery that makes beer from elephant poop
The Japanese brewery, Sankt Gallen, produces a beer called Un Kono Kuro, made with coffee beans that have passed through an elephant.
It’s incredibly popular – I guess people aren’t fussy!
Fancy trying one?
12. So close and yet so far…
Despite their massive cultural and political differences, Finland and North Korea are only separated by one country.
Russia shares a small land border with North Korea.
So, despite Russia being larger than most continents, it’s true. Not a bad conversation starter at the dinner table!
13. Off with their heads!
26. This will Pluto your mind
27. Oxford University predates the Aztecs by about 500 years
28. Neil Armstrong had to go through customs when coming back from the moon
29. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia
30. Tiffany & Co. was founded before Italy was
31. The USA flag was designed by a high school student for a science project
32. France was still executing people via guillotine when Star Wars came out
33. There are whales still alive that were around before Moby Dick was written
34. If cars could drive through space, you could get to outer space in an hour
35. Shakespeare invented the name Jessica
36. Betty White is literally older than sliced bread
37. Molasses have killed more Americans than coyotes have
The Great Molasses Flood, occurred on January 15, 1919 in Boston, Massachusetts.
A large molasses storage tank burst and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150.
In recorded history, Coyotes have killed fewer humans than the 21 who died in the molasses incident.
38. The T-Rex existed closer to our time than the Stegosaurus
According to popular scientific theory, the T-Rex was wiped out, along with the rest of the dinosaurs, about 65 million years ago, during the K-T mass extinction.
The Stegosaurs, meanwhile, bowed out around 150 million years ago.
So when you see a picture like the one above, just know that it’s about 85 million years off.
39. Bananas are berries, but strawberries are not
40. Harvard is much older than the USA
41. Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was in the first episode of ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’
42. Vending machines are (statistically) more dangerous than sharks
43. Nintendo existed as a company 100 years before the Game Boy was released
44. The Ottoman Empire still existed when the cubs last won a World Series
45. Humpty Dumpty was never revealed to be an egg
46. We put a man on the moon before we put wheels on a suitcase
47. Flamingos turn pink from eating shrimp
48. Vampire Bats drink half their own weight in blood
Yep, just to make them even creepier.
To be clear, that’s every time they feed. Dracula’s favorite friends slurp up an ounce of blood every meal, which takes about 20 to 30 minutes.
I haven’t been able to put away that kind of volume since I was about 21.
49. Your fish is probably an impostor
According to researchers, mislabeling of fish runs rampant in the retail industry, with about a quarter of fish being sold as something that they are not.
For example—yellowtail sold as mahi-mahi, and everything else that’s actually tilapia.
Lies, filthy lies!
50. Australia is larger than Pluto
You probably knew that Pluto was the smallest (not) planet in the Solar System, but did you know just how small it was?
Pluto measures 2,370 km across, compared to Australia’s 4,000-km diameter.
I hope you learned something today folks, I know I certainly did!