Our Grandparents are such a gift to us, sometimes, even more so than our parents. They naturally have so much more wisdom and life lessons to impart onto us, there’s so much that we can learn from them about love, life and everything in between.
My Grandparents were all gone by the time I was 9 years old (I do apologise for the early onset of morbidity here, but it does have a point…) and I always envy people who still have their grandparents at my age, I can only imagine how much more my life would be enhanced by having an older, wiser, kinder presence in my life, now that I’m a bit older myself.
And sometimes, they’re just so off the level cool, that they even out awesome their GRANDKIDS, yes, not their kids, but their grandkids!
If you have Grandparents then I’m sure it won’t be hard to believe how truly amazing they can be, but we thought we’d document the evidence for you here…just to brighten your day! (We’re always doing nice things like that!)
1. My grandpa didn’t need a state-of-the-art gym to get fit
WOW. Is it wrong to perv on a person who is probably now double, or even triple your age? Asking for a friend… *ahem*
2. My great grandfather gave Einstein violin lessons
Now, this is one story for telling down at the pub, because no one would believe you and just think you were either steaming drunk…or going mad…and then, for the dramatic shock value, you could just whip out this picture and take everyone DOWN. Amazing!
3. My grandparents used to dress up in each other’s clothes
Well, isn’t this just cute and hilarious in equal measure!? Grandpa looks rather fetching in a dress, doesn’t he? (Not words I ever thought I would utter in my lifetime…!)
4. My grandmother looked like Greta Garbo
She is absolutely stunning, she’d put any film star to shame! To be honest, I suddenly feel very ugly…
5. My granny rode on the wings of cropdusters
Oh my! This is giving me extreme vertigo just looking at it! That’s one brave woman! I don’t mind taking risks, but you’d never get me doing that, not in a million years!
6. My grandmother had this picture placed next to the casket at her funeral
This is brilliant, she was a girl after my own heart! Everyone needs a ‘giving a finger’ picture in their collection! ESPECIALLY for their funeral!
7. My grandma wasn’t allowed to fly in World War II because she was a woman – so she taught the men how instead
She brings a whole new meaning to ‘if you can’t do, teach!’ Who knows what wisdom and guidance she brought to those young men!? Bravo Mrs!
8. My grandfather, the day before he shipped out with the Marines in 1941
Wow. That uneasy perviness seems to be creeping in again. James Dean eat your heart out! And Marlon Brando for that matter!
9. My grandmother, who escaped Communist Bulgaria
She is absolutely gorgeous! Wow, I’m suddenly feeling extremely inferior, I don’t know about you!? It’s in a good way though… Olivia Newton-John eat your heart out!
10. My grandfather after his plane was shot down
Wow, this is amazing! I have one question though,…who took the picture!? (and WHY weren’t they helping him, god damn it!?)
11. My grandma, who worked seven days a week at a gas station
She’s more than amazing, she’s superwoman! Women are so much better off going it alone, than being dragged down by someone toxic, even if it’s difficult to be alone, it’s still better than being trapped with someone abusive, anything is better than that!
12. My jokester grandpa
Crazy and AWESOME, don’t forget that! This looks like the movie poster for a comedy blockbuster, I love it!
13. My grandfather, who… well, who knows
I’m sure that once I stop laughing, I’ll see the awesomeness of this! It’s just the serious look on his face, it’s brilliant!
14. My sailor grandpa
When you’re about to ask if he’s single and then you realise that this was years ago…and he’s now someone’s Grandpa! #awkward
15. My grandma looking like a feminist icon way back in 1938
I personally think ‘doing whatever the hell you want’, is the perfect life lesson to pass down! & This girl is nailing this look! You can tell just from this pic that she didn’t take any sh*t! #fire
16. My grandpa with the car he stole from the Nazis
Well, if you’re going to steal a car, you may as well steal it from the Germans! (Always good quality, you see!) He’s taking badass to a whole new level!
17. I recently lost my grandmother to cancer. This will always be one of my favorite photo of her
How did all these Grandmas look like film stars? And now all young women just seem to look like clowns or drag queens because of their excessive makeup! I think we all need a take a ‘class’ lesson from these beautiful women.
18. My Grandmother With Astronauts John Glenn, Gus Grissom, And Alan Shepherd (September 14th, 1959)
I love this picture, basic girls get their picture done with rockstars and filmstars…whereas cool, smart, classy, beautiful girls get their picture taken with astronauts! #takenote
19. My great grandfather riding a horse he trained for World War I
Once you get over feeling a tad sorry for the fate of that poor Horse, you realise that you can’t get much cooler than this!
20. My great grandmother working as a welder
What can I say? Girls get the job done! She is so cool! & HOW does she still look so smart, beautiful and fresh when she’s a welder for crying out loud!? I’d end up looking like ‘Sweaty Barbara’ from the garage. Stunning!
All images sourced from and credited to Bored Panda