29-year-old Rachael Knappier’s botox horror story is currently being used to warn people of the potential dangers surrounding botox injections after her lips quadrupled in size following a botched procedure.
The ‘procedure’ that Rachael had undergone was done at a ‘Botox party’ which she’d attended with her friends.
Botox parties are a rising trend where a group of people get together for a few drinks, maybe some snacks, oh… and some botulinum toxin (commercially known as Botox) injected straight into your face by non-medical professionals in a non-medical environment. Yes, this is a thing that happens.
Rachael attended one of these botulism poisoning shindigs and had an injection into her lips after one of her friend’s told her it would be a good idea. However, the procedure was carried out by a beauty therapist who incorrectly injected the poison into a blood vessel causing the reaction you see in the pictures above. I can literally hear my nan’s voice saying ‘if your friend jumped off a cliff would you do it too?’
Thankfully Rachael is fine, and appeared on ITV ‘s This Morning to describe her ordeal as a way to warn people of the dangers of not taking botulism injections seriously:
“I woke up at two in the morning and saw what you see in those pictures. My lips touched my nose. They quadrupled in size. The pressure and burning on my lips was unbelievable.”
Rachael Took rushed to hospital where she said the medical staff were laughing at her appearance:
“They hadn’t seen anything like it before. I’ve turned up to A&E with this huge thing on my face. I’m telling them I’m having an allergic reaction, which is what I thought was happening. Three doctors said I’d actually had the filler injected into my artery.”
Thankfully Rachael’s lips went down eventually, but she is starting to campaign with the slogan, ‘Protect before you inject’ which she discussed in an interview with This Morning.